The good news first: Fungi and moulds are an important part of the natural world, often
forming complex relationships with other plants or animals. It is impossible to get rid of all mould as some spores float through the air and dust. However, mould spores can’t grow without moisture.
Main causes of moisture are usually floods, leaking pipes, inadequate site drainage, leaking windows and roofs. Look respectively for water or moisture excess, or water damage such as leaks and water stains; all that can encourage mould infestation.
Increased humidity due to improper drying of flooded areas or poor ventilation in subfloor areas can also cause mould to grow. Bad habits like keeping the house closed without proper air circulation or dehumidifier and poor housekeeping can also cause mould growth. Mould can grow on paper, food and soap scum, also on wood, dirt, drywall, paint and wallpaper, and many other surfaces that contain sufficient amounts of moisture.
More common places for mould to grow are moist corners, e.g. in the bathroom or windows. Dripping water underneath the window is what causes the mould to form and grow and your wall to start rotting. Mould infestation can be found even inside the wall layers, growing under cabinets and under wallpapers.
Having a warm dry house with effective extraction fans and air circulation is a good way to discourage mould growth.
If you have concerns with excess moisture, can smell a damp or musty smell around your home we recommend having a mould inspection. Some people think that by cleaning the mould they can get rid of it permanently, but that is a common misconception. You cannot get rid of the mould permanently unless you eliminate the source.
Call us at Quality Building Inspection toll-free on 1800 656 343 to share your concerns and questions.